Sunday, October 21, 2007

And all of a sudden, I'm twenty-seven.

Would someone like to explain to me how time works? I know all the rules, but I can't fathom how it all really works. I was talking to Mike and Jenny and Sean over Sushi the other night about how old they feel, and we all agreed that there comes a point in life that you really don't feel much older. I still feel, oh, maybe 20. Although I was in better shape at 20 than I am right now, so for that I guess I feel older just because I always feel more attractive when I am in shape and our society links beauty and age. But as far as my personal development goes, I don't feel like I've got it all together like the 27 year olds who have come before me...and at the same time, I look at those young 20'sish kids and think, man they have a lot to learn.

So I am 27 now. I now realize that those that are older than me (namely my older siblings, all of whom I look up to and aspire to be like for one reason or another) will always seem like pros at their current respective ages, and when I get to be that age I will still feel like I am scrambling to figure it all out. Does that make sense? Ramblings...forgive me.

4 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

Happy 27! I can't beleive I did not send you a text or call. What a bad friend. I told Clayton to not let me forget during the day--but what did we both do, forget. Sorry! Happy late birthday! By the way--you have plenty together for a 27 year old and you are beautiful!

Natalie said...

nice post. I enjoyed your ramblings, as I always do. And though I do not truly understand how it must feel to be a twenty-seven year old, I being a mere twenty-six year old, I hope to one day be able to understand. ;) I also continue to feel about 20. Others seem convinced also. In the last couple of weeks I've started a new job and new school, and have therefore met many new people. All usually guess around 20 for my age. Sometimes 18 or 19, max 22. They are always shocked (and the little tikes apalled) when I inform them I'm 26. And why does the issue of age always come up anyway? When I work in the nursery the cluster of pediatric residents sit about 3 ft away from me, and were all present to overhear the age conversation between a couple coworkers and I. Clearly eavesdropping, one of the residents exclaimed, "26! Are you serious?" An hour later, he walked past me and shaking his head mumbled, "26. wow." Perhaps he was suffering from shock.

Anyway, you're absolutely gorgeous and I hope to have things as figured out as you do when I'm 27. You see, some people aspire to be like YOU. Love you Lyd! I think of you every time I see my purple pedicure.

Jenny said...

Lydia, we are all faking it! Or didn't you know? I am 35 next month and I am freaking out because that makes me mid 30's but I don't FEEL a day past 25. As far as being a pro at your age, it's just handed to you...the years keep on comin'. What's a girl to do? Speaking for myself, I am winging it. I look up to you and Mindy so much, you both have it so together and I am still the one scratching my head. Funny. Age doesn't change a thing.

Amber said...

Lydia- I am just finding all kinds of people from links and I'm having SO much fun! I read this post and I TOTALLY know what you mean. I looked at 27 year olds and the "put together" lives they had and sheesh, I sure don't feel as "put together" as they seemed. :) You have such a cute little family!! I ran into Shana at the Layton game- she was looking for you! Small world we live in- really it is. Come to my blog and say hello! :)