Thursday, January 17, 2008

Last the best?

So I am officially the last of my bloggin' buddies to update my blog in the new year. I'm not sure why, exactly, as I have been "thinking in blog" almost non-stop. It's mostly that I am just lazy...well, that and I realized how much time I spent reading blogs for a while there that I have kind of avoided them. Granted, I check my homepage for updates almost everyday, but I have all but given up blog stalking.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I read about other people's seemingly perfect lives I just end up feeling sorry for myself. Not that I have a bad life, quite on the contrary, in fact. I remember one day of blogstalking I visited half a dozen or more blogs of people I knew from HS. One girl had just competed in a triathlon, another had just started her own business, another had just bought a really nice brand new SUV, and so forth. Later that day I noticed I felt fat, under motivated, and broke! Another day I came across a blog of someone I haven't seen or talked to in years and noticed my name in her linked blogs list. Has anyone else noticed a bit of a popularity contest in the blogging world? Needless to say, I was a bit bugged that someone would link my blog just to have a longer list without even stopping by it to say Hi.

Don't get me wrong, I love (love love) hearing the good news of people I really care about, but maybe that's because I also know you all have days that aren't all perfect and cheery and that's what makes you all so darn lovable and admirable!

Not sure where I'm going with this, or why. Maybe it's just that time of the month. :-) Anyway, stay tuned...I've got some great blogs up my sleeve, including the AMAZING book I finished today, the weight loss battle, and many more, Oh, yes. There will be pictures of Kate, don't you fret!

11 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

Lydia, I will admit, I am a blog stalker. I check the blogs at least three times a day at work. If I was home with fun things to do, I would not be stuck to a computer all day. Unfortunately I have to be.

Anywho--I hope you never get too discouraged. You have such a cute family, wonderful husband, darling baby girl & amazingly sporty dog. You hace a way of cheering others up & setting such a great example. I just love you! Anyone who knows you probably finds themselves in ENVY TOWN. Don't fret....all things will work themselves out even after having a bad day.

P.S.--you want me to start a blog with my real feelings of the day? It would be called Pessy--the sure mix of Pissy Pessimism. Enough to fill your yearly canteen in one reading. :)....shhh I am really good at that.

Jenny said...

Lydia, I know how you feel. I was getting down on myself just before reading your new post. I feel fat, unmotivated, and like I should be further along in some sort of meaningful career. But then I step back and say, "I have great kids, (which are a full time job), a good marriage, a few talents, an open and honest relationship with my sisters, (which I treasure)...etc. I know life isn't perfect. Far from it. Those who only post about their perfection aren't "real" people, so don't let it get you down. (I am trying to take my own advice to heart.)It is refreshing to know I am not the only one who feels this way, too. Life is the bitter mixed in with the sweet.
I love you, Lydia. I am proud of the woman and mother you have become. My only regret is that we don't see each other nearly as often as we should. Let's change that... :)

p.s.-I haven't noticed the blog popularity contest, but maybe thats because the only sites I visit are the linked sites on my own blog...I just haven't ventured out of my "comfort zone".

Jessie said...

Um, here: I barely exercise. I don't own a house like most of my friends. I mostly sit around all day, playing with my boys (ok, and blog stalking a little). I think this life is mostly great! Don't get me wrong, I have my "why don't I have a house", "why can't I stop eating sweets" moments, but I think it's cool to be all imperfect, as much as it is cool to be in a triathlon. Keep groovin'.
I do wish I could sing Indigo Girls with you again. I've gotten so rusty.
I also haven't noticed the blog popularity contest thing. I only link to the people I really want to check in on regularly.
Take care!

lydia said...

Awe shucks, thanks you guys! Although I was not fishing for compliments, I enjoy them all the same! I know I have a lot of great things going for me. I was just having one of those days (or maybe two days) and there happened to be a computer in front of me!

Gosh, reading it today, I hope I didn't offend anyone. I LOVE hearing anyone's good news! I think that a blog is a perfect place to let people know all of the wonderful things they have going on in their lives. Heck, when I do a triathlon you better believe I'll post about it! I just got a new minivan, and I LOVE my job as Kate's #1.
Hmmm....I'm thinking about deleting that post all together... It served it's purpose, I got stuff off my chest.

Moving on--

Jenny said...

Nah..leave it. It's therapy. I like to hear about it all, the great days and the not-s-great days included. :)

Shanna said...

Lyd, I agree with Jenny on not deleting the post...it shows we are all human. I appreciate the glimpses into "real life" sometimes. This particular blog is exactly what I have been thinking these days too! In fact I think we've talked about it. Anyway, know that I LOVE YOU!

Natalie said...

I totally agree about those perfection blogs. Sometimes they feel like a scrapbook page - all the glossy memories, none of the real stuff. And so thanks to you for keepin it real. That's why I love ya.

The Cooper's said...

Lydia! I am positive you are talking about me in this post! Which is ok cause it's true. Im not so good on the comments part but love reading how everyone is doing out there. Thanks for keeping it real and telling it like it is. Im sure a lot of people, including me, agree with you and feel the same way!!

lydia said...

Jenny!I have to say how sorry I am. I was trying being general in that "venting" post, but you're right, your blog was the "straw" that day. You see the pathetic thing is I have checked your blog before that and since then, so that's what a hypocrite I am. I genuinely like you and York and I like to see how you are doing as well (obviously).

Do you forgive me for being such a dork?

The Cooper's said...

It's all good. No worries! :)

Michelle said...

Ditto, Lydia! I get what you are saying about blogs often being only people's best news and brightest thoughts, it's kind of like those braggy Christmas cards you sometimes get and have to groan about!:)

I had never heard the term "blogstalker" - funny, very descriptive!