Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Does everything happen for a reason?

With all that has gone on with Zeus over the last three weeks, I am left pondering this popular cliche.

Recap: Just over three weeks ago, Mike and I decided it was time to find Zeus a new home. Posted the add on KSL which produced about 800 page views, about 15 phone calls/messages, and five interviews in less than 24 hours. We were stunned by the interest and had a tough decision on our hands.

Following the interviews there were really only two families we were having a hard time deciding between. Leslie's family had a 7 yr. old boxer named Dexter, two older children, and someone was almost always home. Negatives at this home were that they didn't have a fenced yard, and with both Zeus and Dex being male, it took them a little bit of time to get used to each other. Oh, that and they lived in a brand new house in Saratoga Springs (which is on the west side of Utah Lake).

Patrick and Kristi also had a boxer named Xena. She is two and looks like she could be from Zeus' same litter. They got along great from the get go, as they didn't have to compete for Alpha. Patrick and Kristi don't have any children, and you can tell they just love Xena. And they live in Clinton...less than 10 minutes drive. The only thing we were concerned with here was that they kenneled Xena for 5-6 hours a day while they were at work, and we were worried Zeus would have a hard time with that.

After a LOT of thought, we chose Leslie's family. We missed Zeus instantly, though within the week we could see that this really was the best decision for our family.

Then on Sunday, Leslie called. "I'm sad to be having to make this call," she said. Things weren't working out. Zeus was having accidents all the time, running off when they let him out to go to the bathroom (to the extent that one time Aaron, the dad, had chased him for over a half hour but had to leave or he'd miss a flight. Luckily, Zeus was on the back porch when Leslie got home over two hours later.) I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when Zeus, jealous that he was locked in the bedroom during a social event, chewed at the baseboards in the bedroom. I apologized, and said that we would come and pick him up.

As we were making the drive down south, we gave Patrick and Kristi a call. Our hopes that they hadn't already found a friend for Xena were realized, but they said that they would think about it and call us back. So we brought Zeus home. It was actually kind of nice to have him back, as weird as that sounds, but the idea of going through the whole ordeal again was making us anxious. Patrick called yesterday afternoon and said that they would like to give it a trial run for a week or two. We packed up Zeus' things and headed over there last night.

So last night as I was getting ready for bed, I was thinking, maybe Zeus was meant to be with Xena all along but he just needed this other trial run first. Maybe Leslie's house wasn't a
"wrong" or a "bad" choice, just a preparatory state.
Although I feel terrible that Leslie's family had to go through that, maybe it was just what had to be, and that everyone was better off because of it. I guess we'll see how it goes at Patrick and Kristi's this week, and then, maybe we'll know for sure.

Mike just sent me this picture he took with his phone of Zeus and Xena. See what we mean about how they look alike?

15 comments:

Natalie said...

Hmmm... maybe Zeus will be a bit more motivated to stick around and be on his best behavior when there's a new pretty girl boxer around. Fingers crossed!

mikemetcalf said...

Haha, good point Natalie! Ever since we met Kristi, Patrick, and Xena, I had a good feeling about them. Hopefully I'm not counting my eggs too early, but I feel fairly optimistic about this home. And with names like Zeus and Xena, it sounds like they were meant for each other! Let's just hope that "Hercules doesn't try to kill Zeus using a Rib of Cronus when he tried to prevent Xena from giving birth to Eve." ... that would be a bit weird.

Emily and Clay said...

My fingers are crossed. If this doesn't work out, someone I know (Carolyn at the bank) knows a few people who take boxers all of the time--they are great owners and she trusts her dogs to them.

Michelle said...

Aww! That picture of Zeus and Xena was so good to see - they really do look like a lovely match! I really, really hope things go well! Thank you for keeping us updated.

Unknown said...

You have chosen a wonderful family, and I'm not just saying that because Kristy and Patrick are my sister and brother-in-law. Welcome to the family, Zeus! We look forward to meeting you in March!

lydia said...

Wow, Jen! How did you find my blog? Thanks for stopping by, and for the words of encouragement!

Mindy said...

Good luck, Zeusy goose.
PLEASE keep us posted!

Jenny said...

Zeus and Xena? Wow, they are meant to be together...I hope it all works out for the best, and you are right! I can't tell them apart.

Kristy said...

Hi Lydia & Mike! I found your blog yesterday when I Googled "Zeus boxer". It is crazy because I don't even know why I Googled it. There's really no explanation. Anyway, Zeus is doing wonderful. He is such an awesome dog. We have not had any problems with him whatsoever. He and Xena play all the time and I can tell they just love each other. He also loves all her toys! I'm still not sure who has more energy :) I've been taking lots of pictures and will be sure to email you some this weekend. We are so excited to add Zeus to our family. Thank you very much! You are welcome to visit with him anytime.

mikemetcalf said...

Kristy! I'm so glad that Zeus is doing so well over there! We've been thinking about him a lot this week. Sounds like he and Xena are best friends forever! Glad to hear that he's taking a liking to her toys. Can't wait to see some pictures and hear some stories! Let us know when you need a dog-sitter :) Lydia and I will probably come by and visit soon and bring those his medical records and what not. Thanks again, we can't tell you how excited we are that he's found such a loving home!

Jer and Jealin said...

Hey Lyd. I'm sorry that you had to go through all the stress of finding him a different home. As if it wasn't hard enough to say goodbye the first time. Hope this time works out perfectly! Are things going a little better without 2 children to watch? :)

Lacey said...

What a hard situation. I hope everything works out well for you guys and for Zeus.

Shanna said...

Lyd, I just tagged you! Even though we already know each other so well, I can't wait to see what you say.

Let's get together soon!
Love you.

Petit Elefant said...

Hey, how are you? I just found your site and wanted to share mine:
http://petitelefant.blogspot.com/

Be well,
{good luck with the dogs...}
Allison

MaKayle said...

Hey there! Since I've been in the hospital and have nothing else to do I've been checking blogs and yours seems to be one that very rarely has anything new! What's up with that? Because I know you have a very adorable daughter at home that all of us would love to see more of! How are you guys anyways? I know Luke probably talks to Mike, but how are YOU?