Tuesday, May 20, 2008

something awesome

Team "something awesome" completed the marathon in 4 hours 5o minutes!!!

On Friday afternoon Mike and I were IMing and he was saying how jealous he was that I would be running on Saturday without him. Well, here. Read it yourself:

2:00 PM Mike: i wish i could run it with you
starting to feel really jealous
:)
2:01 PM Lydia: yeah, that would be so awesome
Mike: do you think i could?
i'd be tempted to try
i really felt like i could have gone a lot further when we ran that 5
but i know i'd really be pushing my limits
Lydia:.I think you could try
and we did 6 on Saturday, not 5
Mike: oh yeah
2:13 PM Lydia: well, I'll go pick up our registration and stuff and you can think about it
Mike: ok
Lydia: I think you could finish, yes.
it just might take you a while
2:14 PM and you would probably be in pain for a week!
:)

So, that lead to this:


That's right! We did it! Mike's dad, Rick (pictured above) ran the marathon as well. Mike ran the first half and did GREAT! He was pooped out when he got to me though, but I was SO SO proud of him.

Then it was my turn, and I was pumped. Not nervous at all. I ran with Rick for my first 7 or 8 miles and I was grateful to have someone so experienced to run with. That was Rick's 20th Marathon. Anyway, he made sure we didn't overdo it on the hills, and he gave me salt tablets to help me avoid cramps. But when it came to those last few miles I just had a bit more energy and decided to take it in solo.

I actually really liked running alone, not better than with someone, just differently. I really paid attention to my body and the beautiful scenery around me. I liked talking to strangers along the way and taking in the camaraderie associated with sharing in that challenging experience. I liked pushing myself when I thought I had nothing left; it was exhilarating!

After Mike finished his half, he went to pick up Kate from my sister's (Thanks SO MUCH again, Jenny!) and then he came down to the finish to see me in. He and Kate were waiting in some shade about two blocks from the finish line. I was so excited to see them! They jumped up and ran to the finish with me. I can tell Mike had had some rest, his pace wore me out to the point that I walked for the first time in miles! But then the crowd kept telling me, "Oh! You're so close! Keep going!" And Mike asked me if I was going to sprint it to the end. I did! Well, the last 25 feet or so. Finished strong.

I sense an addict in the making. I already registered Mike and me for the Top of Utah Marathon held in Logan on Sept. 20th. The FULL marathon this time. Oh, and I want to send out a warm welcome to anyone who wants to join in the training. It's in 4 months and you would have the perfect amount of time to train and I guarantee it will be one of the better experiences in you life. Here's a map so as you can see, it's almost ALL downhill....a great race to begin with. If you just want to do the half marathon, I still recommend it. Come join in the fun!

15 comments:

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

That's so awesome! You guys are inspiring! Go team Metcalf!

Jenny said...

Was it really fun? Or is it like having a baby...miserable while you're doing it, and seems so awesome once you're done? Maybe....

I am so proud of you both! (And Mindy too!) Holy cow. I feel lame-o compared to you marathoners.

Emily and Clay said...

I am so darn proud of you Lyd!!!! Great job!

VTS said...

That's a huge accomplishment! Chaulk another one up for you. You accomplishment demon.

"Team Awesome" is wicked awesome.

The Cooper's said...

Congrat's Lydia! That is so awesome!

Natalie said...

thinking about it. Not committing, just thinking...

Salty Incisor said...

ok now I know who your husband looks like...in his pictures anyway...James McAvoy
Ok but first congratulations on your marathon...I love that he considered running it without training...like dontcha think I could???huh huh (all impulsively) that was amusing.
Come see my daughters Anatomy of a Tantrum on my blog its pretty darn good and you will see what you have in store for you...(in a few)
Congrats again for following through on your dreams and goals!

Shanna said...

WAY TO GO LYD!!!! I am so proud of you! I have a slight idea of what it's like. The how horrible and wonderful running a race can be! Weird that you feel both sensations at the same time. Anyway, I am SERIOUSLY considering participating with you.

You know, there is a Bear Lake Half Marathon coming up. I think that would be a really BEAUTIFUL run.

Mindy said...

It was so fun to experience that day together, even though we didn't actually run together. I still can't believe Mike was able to pull it off last minute! You guys are both amazing.
As I've told you already, I'm not ready to commit to a full...maybe the half. I haven't run since Saturday, but I've stopped at the computer just now on my way to the treadmill. We'll see how I feel in 30 minutes!
Loved watching Kate. She's an angel.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

that is freakin' sweet!

Jessie said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I have no desire to push myself in that way, but I applaud those of you who do. I'll stick to eating cookies and getting fat. Ha ha, just kidding. I do Pilates and the Elliptical, but nothing in my body would ever tell me: hey run a marathon. You're awesome, especially post baby! Again, I say wow.

Amanda said...

Hey Lydia! It's Mandy Eisenbarth. I don't know if you remember me from High School (I hope so though). I got your link off of Shanna's blog and I just wanted to say hi and tell you that you are freakin' amazing. You are even more beautiful than you were in High School and I didn't think that was possible. :) Hope you don't mind if I keep your blog link and check back often. Your family is beautiful.

Lacey said...

CONGRATS! That is awesome and amazing. I am so happy that you found someone to watch the little one so you could accomplish what you did! I miss ya!

Juliana said...

Hi - it's me, "better late than never!"

Love your blog, Lydia! It's so fun to see all the pictures and your comments are always great. What an accomplishment to be able to do this - something I've only ever thought about, and been in awe of. Good for you - and Mike. And good luck in the Top of Utah!!

Lacey said...

I NEED AN UPDATE!!!