Thursday, May 8, 2008

Wrong Place at the Right Time

Yesterday Katers and I had an interesting experience. Seeing as it was laundry day and I had about 5 loads to fold while she was napping, I decided to go get a movie from Redbox. The Redbox we frequent at our local Maverick has several parking spaces within 10 feet, so I felt okay about leaving her in the car, especially considering I wasn't going to have to wait in line and I knew what movie I was getting.

When I got back to the car I was quite surprised to find it locked....with the keys in the ignition. I panicked, of course, and then paced back and forth in front of the car thinking about my options. I could call someone in my neighborhood and have them bring a key, but my cell phone is also in the car and I don't have anyone's number memorized. I could ask a complete stranger to stay with her while I drive their car home, but I think the spare key to the house is inside, and could I really do that?? So the only thing I can do, I decided, is to call a locksmith. Oh, and Kate is crying hysterically by this point.

I walked inside Maverick to ask to use a phone and a phone book, and while I'm looking up the locksmith a man I had seen outside asks me, "Did you lock your keys in your car with a child inside?"

"Yes." I say rather frantically.

"You know if you call the police they'll come and unlock it for you."

"Really? I had no idea! Do I just dial 911?"

And then a lady in line at the register just spits out this number, 688-whatever-it-was, and said that was the number for the Weber County Dispatch. An officer was there within 5 minutes, and about 5 minutes after that I was unlocked! I couldn't believe it! And they didn't say a word in reprimand about leaving her in the car, which I was really relieved for. Blessings!

12 comments:

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i can't believe that you are actually sharing this incident with the world .. i would definitely not tell anyone about this! 555! .. but what i really want to know is what mike thought about it all! ;D

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

you sound like you were very calm during all of this .. i think i would totally flip out if that was me! ... i'm sure that you are a great mom though .. so, what did mike think?

Emily and Clay said...

Dang! Good to know right? I am glad you were safe and sound. For a second I thought that you were going to say someone tried to get into the car to take Kate when you were renting your flic. SCARED ME FOR A SEC.

Jenny said...

Been there, done that. When Connor and Gavin were small, CONNOR locked me out of the car. (With Gavin screaming at the top of his lungs.) I am surprised Connor did not drive off. Dang kid could get out of any seat harness at the age of 12 months, flipped the locks and then didn't understand me when I tried to have him unlock them again. Luckily, a cop was in the gas station at the same time I was and took pity on me for leaving the kids in the car so I pay for my gas. It happens to us all at some point. :)

Jenny said...

Sorry for the broken English. I guess I should actually read my posts before I post them. Oh well. Glad to know Katie-Kate was safe and that you didn't have to wait very long!

MaKayle said...

It is scary isn't it!? Want another similarity to add to the list? I've locked my keys in the car with it running also! No baby inside, thank goodness or I woulda FREAKED! But with my absent mindedness in high school I did it without even realizing it until I came back out from a 20 min tanning session! Great times!

VTS said...

I think alot of people have done this. I did it with my month old neice! Scariest feeling ever.

I'm not doing so well with my running. I think my longest run was only eight miles. Next weekend will be interesting.

Talk to you later!

Denise said...

Isn't that the worst feeling ever? We locked Gavin in the car at the drive-in movies. Only difference is we had to wait 45 minutes for a lock smith - thank goodness for sleeping babies!

Mindy said...

I can empathize.
I stopped at a yard sale and left my sleeping kids (R&J) in the car at the curb while I peeked at the stuff. They were 10 feet away, and I left the car running with the AC on (it was summer). Anyway, my car locked automatically (it was when I had a van like yours, incidentally). I had to pound on the window to wake Rachel up, then she unclipped the seatbelt and maneuvered through the car like a turtle with her carseat "shell" still attached to her back. By the time she figured out how to unlock the car, we were all three crying.
Not my most pleasant memory!

Natalie said...

You don't say. That really is more than just coincidence.

Remember the old corolla from high school? I locked my keys in it at least every other week. So I naturally had about 5 spares stashed all over the place. But once I locked my keys in the car while it was running in the driveway during a rainstorm, and I couldn't find ANY of the spares! So I had to call a locksmith. Two of the spares were inside my purse which was on the front seat.

I miss that old corolla.

VTS said...

Hey Lyd. I'm anxious to get an update on the race! We were all with you through the tarining, so we got to hear about the end result. Congratulations on doing it. I'm so proud of you!

Juliana said...

Isnt' it nice to know that you're not alone? I think we all have those kind of memories . . . luckily, the endings are happy, and because of the impression it makes (!) we usually don't end up making the same mistake twice.