Tuesday, April 8, 2008

And may your dreams be realized.

This morning Mike asked me, "What are the words to that song you sing to Kate?" I proceeded to sing,

"Sleep, sleep tonight.
And may your dreams
Be realized.
If the thundercloud passes rain,
so let it rain, let it rain,
rain down on me.

So let it be."

I then said, "the words are by Martin Luther King, did you know that?" He asked me how I knew the song and I told him it was on U2's Unforgettable Fire album. I haven't actually listened to the album in years, but when I was a teenager I used to put that track on repeat and go to sleep to it. I loved it. It is such a peaceful song with very meaningful lyrics.

Sometime when Kate was very new I began to sing it to her, and it stuck. I hope it is meaningful to her as she grows, and that it gives her an even deeper appreciation for Martin Luther King, Jr. and all he did for our country in his short time behind the microphone.

While discussing this song with Mike, we came across two things I would like to share with you.

First is a video tribute to Dr. King, to the tune of U2's Pride (In the Name of Love) which was written about him. (I am ashamed to say that I didn't know that this song was a tribute to MLK, even though I could sing along to every word.)


Second is a link to another blog that I found particularly insightful on the subject of prejudice and it's remedy.
http://www.xjsb125.com/wordpress/index.php?p=7

I try to be as just and unprejudiced as possible, but I know I have room for improvement as I show true love and charity with those around me. The way Martin Luther King taught. The way the Savior taught him.

4 comments:

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

i've never heard that Unforgettable Fire song before, but i like the lyrics.
i also really enjoyed this post (probably more than any other blog posts that i usually read) and watching that video tribute (which was very well done i might add) makes you really think about how far we've come as a nation, but also how much further we have to go. very well done and thought provoking lydia.
thank you

VTS said...

Lyd, that was a really great post. I marvel at what others have done to make our nation what it is today. I have great admiration and respect for those that provoke new thought and enlightenment.

Little Kate has amazing parents. I'm excited for her future.

Jenny said...

I love classic U2 (before Zoo) for that reason. They knew how to express controversial or historical topics that are difficult to talk about at times...but like you said, you sing along to every word...even if you did not understand the significance at first.
I loved this post on MLK. I am reminded of all those who truly preached with love in their hearts. (Christ, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, the Dalai Lama.)
I strive for enlightenment, tolerance, and understanding like these great men before me.

Lacey said...

Thank you for reminding me of another thing to be thankful for. What a beautiful post and song that you shared. I appreciate you and your example. Good luck with your marathon training. You are amazing!