Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Brain Bumblings

You know it's time to update your blog when you start "thinking in blog." That's where everything that happens in your day gets a title and you start thinking clever thoughts about it.

I have had several of these moments lately, but since I haven't done anything about it I thought I would just sort of randomly list all of them so that I can get them OUT OF MY HEAD!

Here goes....

We took Kate swimming for the first time this week. She was nervous in the water for the first couple of minutes but then had a GREAT time. I even took her down the waterslide! (little scary for me.)

I finally got us registered for the marathon. Mike and I will be doing the 2 man relay and running with Mike's dad. I will be volunteering at the start line like I have the past couple of years and then bidding the boys good luck and heading down to the halfway point. I am getting really excited!

Kate waves bye-bye now. Oh! and she has figured out the oh and oo sounds. So she says "whoa" all the time. It's so cute. She also shakes her head "no" when we ask her certain questions. She doesn't know that she is saying "no" though, we don't think anyway. It's fun to ask her really silly questions like, "Kate. Do you have eyes?" And she'll just shake her head. She's not very good at doing this in front of an audience, but we got it on tape so I'll have to show you sometime.

I went to one of the best concerts ever a couple of weeks ago. It was called the HotelCafe Tour, so if it comes to a town near you I DEFINITELY recommend it. I went because Ingrid Michaelson (one of my fav artists at the moment) was playing but I ended up buying all of the other artist's albums as well. All 5 singer/songwritter type artists used the same band and the same equipment so there was none of the annoying setup time in between artists. PLUS, they had each artist only play 3 or 4 songs at a time and went through two rounds. So it was like 4 hours of continuous GREAT music, great audience involvement/participation, great comedy....just great all around. SOOO worth $15. Remember it... you won't regret going.

Speaking of music, I need some suggestions for my running playlist. So far I just listen to whatever I'm in the mood for, but I get burned by slow songs so I need to make a good "pump me up" playlist. PLEASE tell me what you like so I can get some ideas!!!

Hmm, I'm sure there were more blogs bumbling around, but I can't think of them right now. Stay tuned for part 2, I guess. ;D

11 comments:

Jer and Jealin said...

Congrats on signing up! THat's funny that you posted about a running playlist cause I just made mine yesterday! I'm gonna post it on my blog. Wish I could see Kate in real life, but I'll settle for blog world...for now.

VTS said...

Great update, Lyd. Thanks for the new post.

As for running playlists...try some good rock. Maybe some AC/DC (Thunderstruck, TNT, and Back in Black are great songs). Rage Against the Machine (Bulls On Parade, People of the Sun, Killing In The Name) really helps me battle the huge hills. Nothing gets me going like Guns n' Roses' Paradise City. When Slash comes in on the guitar...oooh man, it gets me pumped. Led Zepplin's Whole Lotta Love and Immigrant Song are awesome to run to. And anything by the Foo Fighters.

So yeah, those are my picks for running. Keep it up Lydia. You're doing great!

mikemetcalf said...

Two words: Enya.

Jenny said...

I loved that concert...it was by far the most smooth, laid-back, and enjoyable concert I have ever been to.

My favorite "Pump-me-up" songs are:

Gorillaz -"DARE",
Shapeshifter's -"Lola's Theme"
Daft Punk -"DaFunk"
BT-"Somnambulist"

I like these songs because they just fit my running speed. Hope this helps.

Jessie said...

My suggestion is "Footloose". Come one, you can picture Kevin Bacon angrily dancing it out - and you'll run like the wind!

Natalie said...

I always knew it would come to this: you, coming to me for advice on excercise. Well, I'm sorry, but I've got nothing for ya. In the words of the man in black, "Get used to disappointment."

Jenny said...

PS- Lydia, do you have an Ipod? If so, I have a present for you.....

Jen said...

Ok Lyd, you aske for it! I love the old school song "Push It", you'll want to run for days!

Emily and Clay said...

Well, it is hard to think right off the top of my head without scrolling through my iTunes.

The Used:Pretty Handsome Awkward
Poison: Mama don't dance & your Daddy don't rock'n'roll
Chevelle:The Red
Justin Timberlake:Bringing Sexy Back
My Chemical Romance:Several Songs
White Stripes:Seven Nation Army
Queens of the Stoneage:I forget the names of the songs but their popular ones
Kelly Clarson: whole albumn My December
Katherine McPee: Home
Beastie Boys: Brass Monkey
Foo Fighters: Monkey Wrench
Flyleaf: Sick
Paramore: Crush
Jimmy Eat World: The Authority Song, along with several others

Want more?

Mindy said...

Hi Lyd,

Hotel Cafe Tour was the best ever. I think about it a lot. Shannon just posted on her blog about seeing it in Cali. Awesome times--hope they come back again!

I love many of the running songs already mentioned, but I'd add:

"Headstrong"--Trapt (heard this first in a spin class and absolutely CAN'T run without listening to it at least once)
"Can't Stop"--Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Paralyzer"--Finger Eleven
"Bring Me to Life"--Evanescence
"This Ain't a Scene"--Fall Out Boy
"The Reason"--Hoobastank
"Gold Digger" and "Jesus Walks"--edited versions on itunes from Kanye West
"Makes me Wanna Pray"--Christina Aguilera
"Let's Get It Started"--Black Eyed Peas

Happy running!

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

that was a nice catharsis of thought