Wednesday, April 2, 2008

And so it begins

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned in a post that registering for the Ogden Half Marathon was on my list of things to do that day. (Shhh, it still is on the list!) Well this week, just 7 short weeks from the race, I have finally started to train.

Mike's boss--a seasoned marathoner--lent us the book, "The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer" and I HIGHLY recommend it for anyone thinking of running a marathon. It is written by a psychologist, a gym teacher, and a non-runner and includes all three of their respective aspects on marathoning in each chapter.

One of the things they recommend is logging the miles you run, your rate of perceived exertion (RPE), and any comments about the run. They have a nice table to fill out, but I decided to blog it all instead, so with that I introduce my new blog, See Lydia Run.

6 comments:

Emily and Clay said...

CONGRATS! Way to go!!!!

VTS said...

Nice! Have you ever run one before? Pre Kate? I love the idea of a training blog. I'm excited to see your progress. I'm running the Wasatch Back again and have been forcing myself to train for that. We'll have to keep up on each other.

Flyin' Hawaiian said...

sweet! is mike going to join you?

MaKayle said...

Thanks SO much for your help last night! I appreciate it very mucho!

I think that it's great that you're doing this marathon thingy and I would love to join you! However, I think I would have to start with 1/2 mile runs so it would take me forever to catch up to you!

lydia said...

Vanessa- I have always wanted to run a marathon, and even began training for one way back before my mission.

Kawika- Yes! Mike and I are in this together!

Makayle- That book I've been reading and giving numerous plugs for has a pre-training schedule as well for people who are starting from scratch. Basically you work from walking up to jogging continuously for 30 min. That's why on my first official run I went slow enough that I wouldn't have to walk; I wanted to make sure I was ready for the training.

I am thinking I will sign up for one of the full marathons later in the year, so if you want to join, nows the time to start training! :D

Jenny said...

Go Lydia!
I know you'll do great.